1978-1979: In 1978, as a 50th anniversary gift to UC Berkeley, the Class of 1928 raises funds to add 36 bells to the tower, transforming the chime into a 48-bell concert carillon. The new bells for what will be “The Class of 1928 Carillon” are cast by the Paccard Bell Foundry in France. A dedication ceremony and concert is held April 5, 1979, to honor the donor class, which, as a group, gets a Berkeley Citation. Nearby, protesters hold an unrelated “die-in,” lying quietly on the lawns around the esplanade.