1950-1957: Ongoing cracks in the tower’s façade, first noticed in the late 1920s, produce loose pieces of granite and marble, including a large slab of marble that falls from the west side in 1950. Repairs are made, and to protect passersby from future falling fragments, a planting bed is placed around the tower base, and a steel canopy is added at the entrance. The Class of 1920 memorial bench is moved from the west façade to beneath the new canopy.