Summer 1913: Construction on the tower begins. With Doe Library, the Hearst Memorial Mining Building and several other structures finished, Howard is beginning to largely erase the 19th century campus of brick and wood Victorian buildings and replace it with a grand California synthesis of the Mediterranean world and classical design – a new “Athens of the West.” Many of the new buildings, like the Campanile, are clad in granite; others have cement or informal shingled exteriors.

“Is it too much to hope that there will be housed the soul of the university?” Howard once asked, referring to the tower.