March 24, 1916: The tower opens to visitors for the first time. An elevator ride to the observation deck – a rare thing for bell towers of this era – costs 10 cents, and the price lasts for 65 years. An exception occurs in August 1944, during World War II, when visitors are charged 25 cents in an effort to raise funds for postwar student housing. From the earliest years, those with a campus ID ride free.