March 18, 1914: The tower’s cornerstone is laid in a student-led ceremony. By late spring, the unfinished Campanile already has become a stop on the seniors’ annual pilgrimage – an organized walk during graduation week from one beloved building to the next. By mid-August, the Oakland Tribune reports that students back from summer break are discovering a “changed aspect” on campus: Two-thirds of the tower’s exterior is covered with blocks of light gray granite from a Sierra foothills quarry.