Late 1915: Construction of the tower is complete. On Dec. 1, the Campanile’s four clocks, made in Springfield, Mass., by the Standard Electric Time Co., operate for the first time. The clock installation is considered one of the nation’s largest. The Daily Cal reports that “students will have no excuse for lateness to class now.”
Work on the Campanile esplanade — the terraces, trees, lawns and staircases surrounding the tower – is completed in early 1916. The walkway’s 54 plane trees were recycled from the grounds of the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition in San Francisco. Designed to be an active, central campus square, the esplanade evolves into a tranquil, contemplative spot.