1913: While still under construction, the Campanile becomes storage space for a massive amount of fossils collected by UC-led excavations at the Rancho La Brea tar pits in Los Angeles. By 1913, 20 tons of paleontological material – including the remains of saber-toothed cats, horses, camels, ground sloths and many birds – had been brought to campus under the leadership of UC paleontologist and alumnus John C. Merriam. At first, the objects were stored in California Hall’s basement, but the location was too far from Bacon Hall, home of the paleontology department.

Still housed today on five levels of the tower, the 23,000-year-old Pleistocene bones comprise the largest group of La Brea fossils outside of the George C. Page Museum in Los Angeles.