1914-1915: Twelve bells are cast for the tower by John Taylor & Co., a foundry in England. By the end of 1915, the “Sather Bells,” paid for by Jane Sather’s gift and each inscribed with “Gift of Jane K. Sather,” are cast. One of the bells bears the university seal and the motto “Let there be light,” and another has a poem on it by Isaac Flagg, a UC professor of Greek: “We ring, we chime, we toll; lend ye the silent part, some answer in the heart, some echo in the soul.”